Saturday, November 16, 2013

"The voyage of discovery is not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes."
-Marcel Proust 
(posted in a San Francisco store window)




Dear San Francisco,

I’ve been drawn to you for years but until now, couldn’t say wholeheartedly that you are where I want to be. Looking good from the outside, you’ve seemed much “cooler” than Cleveland and I thought I’d feel better about myself just having you as my home. However, it’s not about which place is “cooler” or “better.” It’s about jumping off of stand-still ground and starting fresh.  #courage

This week flew by but not in the sense that I felt rushed. I walked for miles up tall hills and down steep steps. I took multiple buses from Pacific Heights to the Mission and Union Square to the Bluxome Street winery in the middle of SOMA. I went to a boat party across the Golden Gate Bridge and got a ride home in a cop car because there were no cabs, ubers or lyfts to be found. I met great people who welcomed me with open arms and I didn’t drop anyone’s keys down an elevator shaft like the first time I visited two years ago. Yes, this happened right before getting locked in the basement trying my best to find the keys that fell so quickly out of my hands upon arrival. I digress...

I had a list of “non-expectation” expectations; things I wanted to experience this week that were centered around my ability to stay present and enjoy the beauty of adventure and discovery rather than be frantic and anxious sticking to a plan for how things needed to be. I quickly found that this type of behavior doesn’t actually even work with you. I was told that people are either embraced by your vibrant lifestyle or spit out quickly. Thank you for embracing me.

Now I can reflect upon my "this is not an expectation list" list... 
  • I can say that the biggest celebration of this week was my ability to stay present and go with the flow. I got lost, but not too often, and I definitely laughed at myself plenty. Note to self: sometimes sneakers triumph over Frye boots. #comfort
  • I met new people and went out every night with someone different. #social
  • I didn’t do as much yoga as I had hoped, but still practiced five days at four different studios, not including my home practice on Libby’s roof while watching the sunset. It wasn’t an “insane” amount of yoga, but it was perfect. #breathe
  • I shadowed two psychology classes at California Institute of Integral Studies, which happens to be the only place I bought a Kombucha all week. The good news in I fit in with everyone else at the school carrying one. #curious 
  • I did not order a green juice, although I was tempted more times than not. Green juice or not, I’m still forever a #yogafreak.
  • I spent so much time walking outside; thank you for your amazing weather-- the fresh air and scenic views made me smile everyday. #healing
  • I fell in love with a cafe on Fillmore called JANE. I went two days in a row and spent way too much money on multiple menu items and espresso because everything looked too good to decide between. I was even there for a casual afternoon coffee-cupping. #foodie
  • I went to a winery right in the city with someone I met two days before; it was 4 PM, I tried five wines and it was fabulously out of character. #winesnob
  • I did not go to Whole Foods. #win
  • I sat barefoot in the grass at Delores Park, quite possibly the best people-watching scene I’ve ever experienced. #thesimplelife

I found ease amidst simplicity, and for that, I thank you. #gratitude

Love, 
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive