Wednesday, December 4, 2013

A trip down memory lane...

Remembering Adventures in Italy--
My European home away from home, always.


The city of Florence is enchanting.


I remember walking across the Ponte Vecchio bridge, admiring all of the sparkling gold lying perfectly inside glass display cases. Sitting in the grass at the Boboli Gardens and stopping at the cafe on the corner for an early morning shot (of espresso). It took a few months to get used to the quick espresso shot as opposed to the large coffee I was used to; I wont lie, I missed savoring my morning cup every once in a while. I grew to love the taste of espresso, the habit of standing at the "bar," usually just simply watching people order, chug and simply stay. They may have been gulping down their morning energy boost,  but there is no such thing as rushing in Italy; savoring is present in every moment.


In my very first day of class, my Italian professor said, "the major difference between Americans and Italians is that Americans live to work, whereas we, well, we work to live..." I knew in that moment, those Italians were doing something right.

Three years ago I had the chance to call this beautiful city my home. I took a Meditteranean cooking class with a (very good looking) chef from Chianti. We made chickpea soup from scratch, fresh pasta and eggplant parmesan sliders. Our class took weekly trips to the market, learning about the various qualities of Mozzarella and discovered fruits I had never heard of. My travel writing class had us exploring our adventures from various different points of view; I remember sitting on the hilltops of Cortona with my journal, spending a ride to Rome hiding in the bathroom after realizing I had purchased the wrong train ticket. I became close enough with my Fashion & Film professor that one night my friends and I went to her house for dinner and to watch Breakfast at Tiffany's as an "assignment."We ended up winning a wine bottle design contest, sending my friend and I to an all-inclusive retreat weekend at an agriturismo in the heart of Tuscany. 


I visited the shops of Sam Gimignano, each offering free tastings of the simply crisp Vernaccia white wine. I explored the hills of Cortona, walked the hikes through Cinque Terre, exploring each city's unique flare. I had the best meal of my life in Rome in a man's kitchen; he sang and cooked right in front of us, and I still have no idea what I actually ate that night. 


Nearly seven months were spent in this undeniably enchanting country that I dream of everyday. I sometimes envision Italy as a snow globe. It is magical, yet simple; exhilarating when desired, yet calm without a heavy "shaking." Every day offers the potential to find something new, glistening down a sharp alleyway or busy piazza. Within the snow globe of this country, I see endless possibilities for romance, exploration, presence and passion along with pistachio gelato that never loses its flavor.

Italy, I'll find my way back to you soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive